Are you one of the millions of people who currently do not have health insurance? We know you have heard many things about the Affordable Care Act, also known as “Obamacare.” There is a lot of information about the Affordable Care Act (ACA), so we are here to give you the 4-1-1!
Here’s what’s NEW with ACA :
- Young adults are allowed to stay on their parent’s health insurance until the age of 26!
- Now there is a health insurance Marketplace (or Exchanges) where individuals can purchase their own affordable health insurance. If the options available still seem too expensive, you may be able to receive a federal subsidy if you have an income between 100-400% of the Federal Poverty Level (up to $44,000 for an individual).
Health insurance in the Exchange is required to cover a variety of preventive services at no cost to you when delivered by a network provider. They include:
- FDA approved contraceptives (such as birth control)
- Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) prevention counseling and screening as part of your yearly exam
- Domestic violence screening and counseling
- Mental health and substance abuse access are equal to other medical services
- Other preventive services: flu shots, cancer screenings, and mammograms
We are excited that every American citizen can obtain health insurance!
It is required that all eligible Americans have basic health care coverage. This is often referred to as the "individual mandate". Those who are not covered by health insurance before March 31st, 2014 will face a penalty. Do you need health insurance? Then head on over to The New York State Health Plan Marketplace to explore the options available and sign up!