Navigate

JOIN SMART YOUTH

If you want to make a difference and help others while learning about sexual health and keeping yourself safe, then you need to join SMART Youth! You can come to any of our events around the city or come to one of our movie nights or Open Mic events. Check out our schedule to learn what we are doing or e-mail sync.nyc@gmail.com.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Post: IAC (Third Day of Panels, 2)

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012

Community Support to End Vertical Transmission

Now, if you've read some posts before, you are aware of why I felt the need to attend this panel.
Community Support also caught my attention, I figured it would be more down to earth than a regular research panel.

Unfortunately, I didn't stick around long for a few reasons.
1. As soon as the first panel started I knew this was (again) not the type of information I was looking for or thought I would get when I sat in the room.
2. There would be no presentations on information for the US
3. It was at 6:30 PM and I had been up for a bit (And the bus people came)
4. I really had to go to the bathroom
5. Mom was taking my wonderful co-facilitator and I out to dinner

I will summarize and try to provide you with as much information that I did obtain.

Beatrice Chola (Zambia): Prevention of Vertical Transmission of HIV in Zambia

In the age group of 15-49, 14.3% have HIV.

16.1% of HIV infections are women.

Vertical Transmission is a major mode of transmission in Zambia.

Solutions that have been enacted, and still need to be enforced include:  (Biso Program)
  • Inclusion of MEN
  • Helping women go to clinics (stay on treatment for self and child)
  • Enforcing Pre-Natal Care (monitoring the CD4 count of the mother, treating mother, and monitoring the pregnancy)
  • Enforcing Post-Natal Care (Alternative Infant Feeding options, providing mentors with new mothers)
  • The creation of a holistic approach (including nutrition, cooking, and hygiene)
  • Providing income generating activities (business skills & training)
  • Providing support for children
  • Enabling psychological support
A major dilemma with the Biso Program is that there are limited alternative infant feeding options. This is a crucial point since transmission risk doesn't end with the mother just giving birth, breastfeeding is a mode of transmission. Tricky & complex business here...

Overall, I'm sure this information was more influential to someone else in the room, and it was interesting to hear about a community program, but I guess I need something a little more personal and that I can relate more to.

I think about Vertical Transmission a lot (yes, even though I am not giving birth any time soon). I more think about it because from what I do know, in order to reduce risk of mother-to-child transmission, I would have to have a C-Section, and not breastfeed. It kind of bums me out since everyone is always talking about the "natural way for birth" and how it's better for the baby. If I become a mother I definitely want to do what's best for my baby right from the beginning, but unfortunately that includes having the child cut out of me.

The breastfeeding... this is EVERYWHERE now-a-days. "Breast is Best". But again, I won't be able to provide those nutrients to my baby without risk...

Maybe when the time comes some new advances will happen and I don't have to worry about these precautions. But for now... if I want to keep vertical transmission at a low, then I have to keep these facts in mind. 


No comments: